Guitar repair – Setting right Humpty Dumpty – II

This is a bit of an anti-climax, but it is what it is! Humpty Dumpty had no will to be ‘put together again’!

Jokes aside, as I mentioned in my last post, the main thing governing that this glue-up job went properly was removing the already existing Araldite somehow. Though I laboured more than I have ever on a job, I knew that there was always a possibility that there remained remnants of glue that I had been unable to reach.

So I glued up the parts with dowels thrown in for good measure, clamped it all up good and left it to dry for 48 hours.

While I waited, I cleaned and oiled the fretwires, fretboard and bridge, snugged up the hardware on the headstock and gave the guitar body a good rub, such that it shone.

However, when I began the restringing process, the two parts began separating. I halted proceedings right there, drilled in three more holes, inserted three more dowels, cut and sanded them flush and let the glue dry for another 48 hours.

But again when I tried stringing it up, the joint began coming unstuck. This time I knew that I had to call it quits. But I did stick the two offending parts – cosmetically. However, the instrument will never be able to bear strings (tension).

I called up the owner and gave him the sad news, but he took it very well.

Humpty-Dumpty is gone now but it has left behind a dull ache in my heart, an ache that will keep reminding me that I ‘couldn’t put Humpty together again’!


P.S.: For what came earlier, read

Guitar repair – Setting right Humpty Dumpty – I

Amit Newton

An experienced guitar tech with over 10 years of experience working on acoustic Gibsons and Martins in the Gulf region. There is nothing that cannot be repaired; the only consideration is the price at which it comes. And yet, if there is sentiment attached, no price is too high! WhatsApp/Call me: 7080475556 email me:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *